Rexer: Life and Work: Does Biography Matter?


It seems like that biography is always bound with a photographer or an artist. Timeline and topics are two normal ways to classify and show artworks. To be honest, I like reading some information and background about artists while I go to galleries or museums. However, after watching half of the artworks, especially in large galleries, such as the Met and Guggenheim, physical and mental fatigue would make me no longer have the energy to read many words. I prefer to just watch the work without looking for other information. Even so, some works still can immediately attract my attention and make me want to immerse myself in it. Then I will look for the artist of the work and try to look for more of his or her work. It happens that artists create different styles of work in different periods. Biography is helpful for knowing specific details and a direction to know about a photo. However, I think the most powerful and sexy fact about art is that you do not have to use words to conveys ideas and express emotions. Once you watch a photo, you can read the story behind it and feel the emotion in it.   You are communicating with the artist through the photo across time and space.

While I read materials to prepare for my senior capstone for psychology, I found that creating artworks does not only aim to achieve others' response, but more importantly, it is about to record, to better know ourselves and to express ourselves, and even to expose something we did not realize before. Hopefully, it is also a process to make peace with ourselves.


评论