Reflection on The Critical Eye

The reading mentioned an idea that “a more active role for the viewer – and the photographer”, which is an impressive and enlightening concept for me. I think since taking the new media class, I started and trying to do experiment with active arrangements and intervention in my work. I used to capture natural scenes with a camera, which expressed my understanding and perception of beauty as well as the relation between humans and nature. The degree of light and the degree of contrast is something I primarily had control and intervention with the past film works. Inspired by the reading, I start to think about being more active to think about the relation between subjects and environments. In the words of the book is that I want to promote active awareness about my works. As the book claimed, identifying themes, problems, and practices in others’ works are helpful and necessary things to make clear audiences and intentions. While watching photographs and taking photos, I hope to explore a variety of approaches to think about photography and photographs. Like the book described, photography is more like a Swiss Army knife, a single tool with many applications.

评论